Thriving through Trauma
Date: Saturday, 5th June 2021
Location: Online via Zoom
Timing: 10.00 - 13.00 (GMT)
Title: Systemic Supervision : Awareness | Acceptance | Appreciation
This workshop is for psychotherapists, counsellors, coaches and trainees. During this interactive and experiential workshop the following will be included:
Vicarious Trauma (VT) is becoming traumatised by our client’s trauma; having “long-term alterations in cognitive schemas, beliefs, expectations, assumptions about self and others” McCann & Pearlman ’90; As with Figley’s early model (Secondary traumatisation ’95) this is considered an inevitable consequence.
It important to have ways to limit VT for:
· Preventing burn out; maximising effectiveness with clients
· Stopping our clients (metaphorically) coming home with us
· Avoiding losing our sense of agency
· Noticing early signs of compassion fatigue
· Maintaining the ability to create connection and strong therapeutic alliance
· Practicing self-care
o Intrusive thoughts
· Thinking about clients longer than normal, loosening of boundaries
· Dissociation during sessions (and other countertransference signals)
· Maintain boundaries
· Practice self-care
What if we limit ways of VT…
Vicarious traumatic growth, for self and others
Vicarious resilience for “enhanced wellbeing” and strategies for supporting others in “coping and protection from future adverse material” Hernandex, Gansel & Engstrom 2007
Contact me on 07966 453387 Sharon@sharonrooke.co.uk if you have been affected by vicarious trauma.
One-off supervision sessions are available for trauma and dissociation cases.